Thursday, July 8, 2010

Best Summer Herb...Basil

Our friends Brendan and Krista gave us our own potted herb garden as a house warming gift...nothing beats fresh herbs in your cooking!!!  We were so excited about it and had committed ourselves to nurturing this garden paying particular attention to the basil in order to fully benefit from it in the kitchen. Now I've been successful in the past with growing basil but considering my recent run with gardening (epic fail) we weren't expecting much. BUT with a lot of watering and google gardening advice our little basil plant is doing very well.

So well that we've already been able to enjoy it.  With our first harvest I made an awesome caprese salad (caprese salad is so easy it's always awesome), so fresh, so delicious, perfect for the summer.  I just stacked tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella, drizzled some olive oil on top with some salt and pepper and done.  You can always add balsamic vinegar but I wasn't feeling it.

I hope I am not getting ahead of myself but this looks like it's going to be a good basil crop, enough so that if you have any recipes using lots of basil or recommendations for preserving it I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. That Caprese salad is quite epic. I've not thought to layer it like that before. Good effort.

    ReplyDelete